Colorado Business
Start-Up Steps


Your HR, Payroll, & HCM Experts



Establish your business as a corporation with both the IRS and the State of Colorado.
It is a sequential process that must be completed in the order below.

1. Your Federal ID

If you are unsure what type of corporate entity to establish your business under, consult your CPA.
If you need a CPA, Big Fish can make a referral for you. It is very important that you select the correct entity for your business (i.e. there is a BIG difference between setting up a S Corporation and a LLC). IRS FEIN registration:

Federal Registration

2. State Registration

Register your business entity with the CO Secretary of State

CO State Registration

3. CO Department of Revenue Registration

Once registered with the Secretary of State you must regisiter for Sales-Tax License, Wage Withholding, & Unemployment Insurance:

My biz colorado

4. Cities Subject to occupational privilege tax

The occupational privilege tax is also known as OPT or head tax, is the tax imposed on businesses operating in Denver, Aurora, Glendale, Greenwood Village, and City of Sheridan.

5. Licenses and/or Permits

Depending on the type of business you will operate, you will want to ensure that you have applied for any & all licenses and/or permits required by the state of Colorado.

CO Licenses & Permits

Congratulations, you are now established as a business in the State of Colorado! Now all you have to do is call Big Fish and we will get you started on HR, Payroll, & HCM!

As your HR, Payroll & HCM experts

Big Fish will get your people paid... but we don't stop there.
We'll get you answers and assistance in areas of compliance. As your Human Resources, HCM, & Payroll expert we provide you with access to relevant tools that streamline your processes as an employer, giving you peace of mind. Plus, when you call us, you'll talk to humans that answer the phone-every time you call.